Thursday, July 19, 2012

Homemade Bread and Butter Pickles :)

 I have been collecting my cucumbers and waiting to have enough to make pickles. Well lets just say most of the time I was on a hunt for canning/pickling salt. Super hard to find in my area. Found some on Morton.com though they wanted almost $18 to ship it to my side of the word. I then found it on Freshperservingstore.com I received a 32 oz bag for I think around $4-5 and couple dollars to ship. Much more in my price range. Not to mention if I had paid the $18 those better have been some darn great pickles!

So anyways I went out to my garden this morning before the rain came in and gathered up another handful of cucumbers so I could get started.

This picture is about a week old, things are MUCH bigger/ higher climbing now. :)


So here it is the process and adventure to my first water bath canning experience :) Enjoy:

I gathered about 14 cucumbers and cut the ends off, then proceeded to cut them about 1/4 in thick. Put them in a stainless steel bowl and then started on the next half. I did also have everything heating up on the stove, canning water, jars, and lids &bands.



Then I had my pickling vinegar, sugar, and bread and butter season mix all ready to go.

I didn't get the next feel pictures very well. I was to involved in what was going on that I couldn't / they just didn't come out  So I just didnt post pictures. So I combined everything BUT the cucumbers into a pot on the stove and began to combined it all and bring to a boil. When that was ready I then packed my jars that i had taken out of the water of course :). Filled them till I was out of cucumbers and then filled with the hot liquid to the imaginary line or just about 1 in to 1/2 inch from the top. It depends on what recipe you read.

SO then into the water bath they went and were processed for about 20-25 minutes according to my elevation. I pulled them out after the time and they immediately began to POP! It was like music to my ears. You should still let them sit for 24 hours and double check to make sure they sealed. Which you do my seeing if it makes a Dinka dink sound if no sound you are GOLDEN! If you have a sould put them in the fridge and start eating them ;) Maybe even wait a week or two and let the flavors and liquid doing it job of turning it into pickles.



I don't quite understand why one of my bands turn a different color.???? They were all the same when they went in, so I don't know. I cant wait to try them in a couple months. Better to let them sit for a bit and let the process begin. Also It says it will make 2 (32oz) quarts, but I did mine in 4 (16oz) pints. Just so if we go camping or I give some away. Worked out perfect though.

Ball Bread and Butter Recipe:


Makes 2 (32 oz) quarts
For when you want to make just a few jars of Bread & Butter Pickles, use this recipe featuring Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix - Small Batch with Pickle Crisp® Granules for crunchier pickles!

You will need:

3 1/2 lbs pickling cucumbers (about 14 small to medium)
2 1/2 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup Ball® Bread & Butter Pickle Mix
2 Ball® Quart (32 oz) Fresh Preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:

1. PREPARE canner, jars, and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. CUT ends off cucumbers. Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
3. COMBINE vinegar, sugar, and contents of pouch in a medium saucepan. Heat to a boil.
4. PACK slices into jars. Ladle hot pickling liquid over slices leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
5. PROCESS in boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude*. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand for 4-6 weeks.

*Increase processing time: 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3, 000 ft; 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft; 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft; 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment