Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Freezing Corn

So before starting our garden I asked all of the older generation to compile there favorite canning, freezing, and jam recipes. Then I kinda took inventory and decided what I was going to plant in our garden. Didn't have lots of room for corn this year. Though next year I am sure we will expand. So I cheated and bought some. If you dont have time for a garden or the room its ok to do these things with food from the store if there an amazing deal! SO why not stock up and save yourself some money this year.

So the other day our local Von's was having a sale on corn. I took FULL advantage. I think I was that crazy "corn lady" that day. They were having a sale 7 ears for $1. So I bought 28 ears for $4. :) lol.

In the end I saved like $22 I'm ok with that. So I found some time husked the corn, cut it off the cob. Then followed my grandmas recipe that she had sent me. She had sent me a canning and a freezing one. I had intentions to try both. Didn't really have the time this week to can though. I opted for the freezing method.

So here it is:

Freezing corn:

  • Cut corn off cob raw
  • To every 9 cups of corn (28 ears is 18 cups or so)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tbsp of salt
    • Boil 5 minutes. Cool over night. Put in containers or baggies and freeze.
Simple as that! So I had quart freezer bags, I put 2 cups corn in each bag ( with the date written on it) got air out of bag and sealed. I ended up with 9 bags of corn! Not bad, super excited I already saved $22. Not to mention that If I had to buy corn in a bag or in a can its about$2-3 so I saved another $18- $27. So I am a happy camper. I think the total process was about 1/2 hour to an hour. Fine with me! :) To my knowledge that I found you can keep frozen corn in freezer from 1 year- 2 years. Quality made differ with longer time. So happy freezing!!



Finished product.


No comments:

Post a Comment