Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tangy Relish

I am a big lover of relish, though I haven't gotten to try this one yet. I will be soon maybe tonight Ill make up some hot dogs and have a cookout. Yeah that sounds amazing! So it was a little bit of a process but really not that bad. I used my blender for the majority of all the cutting. depending on how fine or chunky you would like it is up to you and how much you want to blend it. I have small children so I like mine finely cut.




Other than that I gathered up my materials and got to cooking.


Everything combined and resting for the hour.

Fast forward.......walla relish!



But here it is for you from me :)

3lbs cucumbers
2-3 sweet onions
1/4 cups pickling salt ( if your like me and you cant find it in town any were go to http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-pickling-salt-in-pouch-32-oz/shop/382695/
3 cups white vinegar
3/4 cups sugar
4-5 garlic cloves minced, I use a hand cheese grater makes quick work of it.
2 tsp dill seeds, mustard seeds, and celery seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 Tbsp corn starch

Finely chop cucumbers and onions. Place in large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Stir well. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain mixture in colander, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Pressing out any excess water/ moisture. In a large pot bring vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill, mustard, and celery seed to a boil. Add cucumber mixture, boil again. Stir frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. After 9 minutes mix corn starch in with simmering juice mix until thickened. ( I noticed that when I added it I just plopped it in and it was hard to stir in, maybe sprinkle across top or something.) Remove from heat and add turmeric and mix well.

Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rim. Seal with lids and rings. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from water and let sit for 24 to make sure they seal properly.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say, that it is wonderful! Will be making this relish again!

    ReplyDelete