Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Jelly Jam Time!

SO I have had a break with the garden things are growing and I was really wanting to do something! So I tried my hand in Jelly and Jam today. Really excited that it was sooo easy, was really quick to make. All in all I will be doing this more and getting crazy with flavors. :)

So I make what they call mixed juice jelly. OMGOSH I'm in love my fav. I had it done and processed in like 30-45 minutes. Super easy and quick. I would have taken pictures but things were moving and getting done so fast there was no time.
So here is the finished product.

Jam I like to call this one 2.1 I know a little weird but its all I had. It called for a cup of each berries that you wanted to use. But I had more blueberries than the others so, it was like a 2 to 1 ratio hints the name 2.1 lol. This is the favorite of the kids and the Mr. They darn near finished a jar at dinner time. Makes me happy and smile goofy that they enjoy what I make so much. Makes me want to continue to do it. Not to mention the money we will save. Will definitely be putting more things in the garden next year. We were testing the waters this year. It has gone way to well and there is expansion plans in the making. :)

With both recipes I will be including in this post you can really do whatever you would like. All one berry or juice or what not combine two, three, four. Possibilities are endless. Today I will be making just grape, apple. I think I might do a apple grape and I have a raspberry apple juice I think. It could be tasty. We sure will find out. I also know this sounds like a lot of jelly to have but great for gifts and we like our jelly :)



Here's the jam! I hope you enjoys these as much as my family.

Juice Jelly Recipe:

4 cups juice ( not low calorie) mix and match juices for different taste
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1.75 ounce package regular powered fruit pectin. ( I used http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-realfruit-classic-pectin-4-7-oz/shop/382653/ , only because its way cheaper to buy this than one package of pectin.)
4 1/2 cups sugar

Poured desired juice and lemon juice into a 6 - 8 quart sauce pan. Sprinkle with pectin. Let stand for a minute or two, stir to dissolve. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Stir in sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stir often. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, quickly skim off foam with metal spoon if any.

Ladle into hot, sterilized canning jars. Leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes. Start timer when water returns to a boil. Remove jars, cool on racks until set. Make sure they seal.


Jam Recipe:

4 cups crushed berries ( I tossed them in my blender, speed the breaking down process up a little. ) Mix and match your favorites. *I used 2 cups blueberries, 1 cup raspberries, and 1 cup black raspberries.
4 1/2 Tbsp Real Fruit Classic Pectin ( can be found here http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-realfruit-classic-pectin-4-7-oz/shop/382653/)
3 cups sugar
6 quilted Crystal Jelly jars. ( I may have added a bit more berries, and I always heat up extra jars just in case I'm off a little.) Jar can be found here: http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-half-pint-8-oz-quilted-crystal-jelly-jars-set-of-12/shop/237410/


Combined berries in saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil, that can not be stirred down. Over high heat stirring constantly, add entire measure of sugar. stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat skim any foam if necessary off top. Ladle into to jars leave 1/4 inch from top.

Process for 10-30 minutes. Remove lid let stand in water for 5 minutes. Remove from water and let cool on rack for 24 hours. make sure they sealed and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment