Thursday, January 31, 2013

New habits

So beginning around summer of 2012, I decided that I was just going to STOP using my dryer. I kept telling my other half that the day I got a clothes line........ I kept wishing and looking for plans and realized it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. So one day I just packed up the girls went to our local True Value, and bought some 100lb clothes line. Ran it from our deck to a tree and there we go. That's it until the day I build a pretty one. lol

Ill tell you what though,I was the person I wont lie that washed and dried the laundry but it would just sit there in laundry baskets til who knows when. The minute after I tied up my clothes line I ran inside and started to do laundry. So excited that when the ding went off on the washer, I ran out to hang it all. Realizing in half the time of the dryer it was dry from just blowing and basking in the sun for less than an hour. As I'm taking it down I'm "folding it", realizing I just did the "hard part" of laundry I walked inside and immediately put it all away!

I killed to birds with one stone!
1. Saved money by not using my dryer
2. Laundry is folded and not just sitting in the basket, waiting to be folded

All in all I think this was a good day. Not to mention our power bill went down my almost $40 a month.

Some other things that I have been doing, is making my own laundry detergent and Spray-n-wash. I used to spend about $40-$60 every 2-3 months on Tide, Dreft (*for the girls) and , Spray-n-wash. I NOW spend close to about $1.00 a month just by making it with things that everyone has around there house.

The initial cost of buying the washing soda and borax was about $12.00 depending on were you go, but it should last you years ( if you only use it for making laundry detergent). So in the long run if I look at the date I bought it and it last me 5 years then I'll be spending about .20 cents a month to wash my laundry. SCORE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment