Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Garden......


So this has been one of the biggest projects that I have taken on in awhile. I think it turned out pretty darn well. Its not going to fall down! So that is always a BIG plus in my book. It took a bit longer to get done then what I was expecting. We had quite a bit of rain for awhile so it held me up. Not to mention a horrible sunburn that I got on the last day of transplanting all of the veggies and such.


In the beginning, digging a foot down here to lay the gopher wire. I told myself that if I was going to take the time to plan out this garden and take the time to raise all these vegetables. Then I was going to take every precaution for it to out run its natural born predators. Gophers, deer, birds, bunnies, and bugs of whatever sort.  I hear all of these stories of animals eating everything and I just didn't want to be one of "those" gardeners with one of "those" stories.

Half way done, so worn out and still have to do the other half.

Starting to look like something now. So I made of side taller than the other for two reasons. One so that the climbers could have a 8 foot wall to grow up. Two so that when I put the bird netting it would angle down and I could still walk inside. I'm short so this works for me. Not so much for when the taller people come by. So I started with the post got them set. Starting then to wrap the entire enclosure with whatever wire I had lying around. I also then started thinking that the bunnies could defiantly still get in if they wanted. SO I noticed that I had some corrugated tin laying around so I did the whole bottom in that even dug it down about 5 inches into the ground. Then topped with the bird netting. So at this point I am feeling pretty great about what I have created.

The gate still needs some work.

Here is a side shot of everything. I know that my beams I dug into the ground are not completely square, or maybe its just a post or two that didn't get plumed quiet well, lol. Either way I'm a happy camper. I have my little walk way, everything looks a little neater being in there own little area. I even planted some Marigolds for a little color and because I kept reading that they are to ward off most common bugs. Which will see how well that works.

Another side shot. I cant even express how excited I am for everything to begin being ready to harvest. then its on to canning. Which is going to be a completely new adventure and I cant wait to take it on.


I really hope that you enjoyed following me with my process of working on my garden and I hope that you continue to follow and enjoy everything to come with me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment